The shoulders are highly complex, incredibly mobile structural joints that connect the nerves in the spine and neck with the rest of the body. If you experience shoulder pain, it is likely caused by the spine’s misalignment or an injury to the neck or shoulder area. At Absolute Spine and Health in Suwanee, GA, our team of chiropractic professionals can help identify the source of your shoulder pain and offer treatment options to help with symptoms that may manifest from a shoulder dislocation or excessive stress along the spine, nerves, and shoulder ligaments.
The shoulder joint (a.k.a. shoulder girdle) is composed of two main joints, although there are a total of four joints:
- The Acromioclavicular Joint is where the collarbone meets the shoulder blade (a.k.a. scapula).
- The Glenohumeral Joint is where the upper arm bone (a.k.a. the humerus) inserts into the shoulder’s socket (a.k.a. the glenoid cavity).
Common Causes of Shoulder Pain
Shoulder pain can happen at any time, although it is noted that it may worsen at night when joints tend to stiffen. The pain may manifest as a burning sensation or a dull ache within the shoulder joint, while others may experience sharper pains (in the shoulder area, the neck, or between the shoulder blades, etc.) simply from moving. Common causes include:
- A frozen shoulder
- A dislocated shoulder
- A pinched nerve
- A rotator cuff injury
- Shoulder bursitis
- Sprain or strain injuries
Ways a Chiropractor Can Reduce Shoulder Pain and Increase Range of Motion
A chiropractor can help you begin to move without shoulder pain and enjoy your daily life again. Professional chiropractors treat shoulder issues using one or more of the following techniques and treatment methods:
- Adjust and align the spine with the shoulder, scapula, and clavicle.
- Offer ultrasound treatments that can reduce inflammation and increase blood flow to the area, which helps promote the healing of sprains, strains, tears, and other injuries.
- Myofascial release can relax the muscles by releasing the fascia, which covers the shoulder muscles.
- E-Stim (electronic stimulation) is a therapy that offers reduced pain.
- The Graston technique uses a specific instrument to break up adhesions / scar tissue to help improve range of motion.
Want Relief from Shoulder Pain?
If you work or live in and around Suwanee, GA, and your shoulder pain has begun to impact your movement (and thus, quality of life), reach out to Absolute Spine and Health by telephone (770-614-7242) or their online form. Seeing a chiropractor for your shoulder pain is a great way to find conservative treatments for shoulder issues.